Optimized procurement can save owners tens of thousands of dollars and weeks or even months of construction time. We work with clients to determine the most cost-effective method of project delivery by developing detailed procurement programs focusing on minimizing risk, enhancing quality, and reducing cost. We do this by examining various ways of optimizing time and quality relative to projects' unique features and owners' contracting requirements and limitations. The resulting procurement strategies are customized and optimized for each project.
An effective procurement strategy ensures that materials, equipment, and human resources are optimally organized and scheduled for construction. Its activities include:
- Working with designers to address unique requirements through the general and supplementary conditions.
- Creating clearly delineated scopes of work (bid packages) that dovetail with local work practices (this is especially critical in multiple-prime contract procurement).
- Configuring bidding documents that afford owners maximum flexibility in matching the bid results to an optimal scope of work.
- Obtaining trade input on material and equipment selections.
- Making provisions for early acquisition of long-lead items.
- Cultivating qualified, competitive contractors and suppliers and, when appropriate, pre-selecting bidders to ensure that only reputable, qualified contractors submit bids.
- Developing, implementing and encouraging MBE/WBE compliance measures.
- Working with designers to manage the bidding process including prebid meetings, requests for information and addenda.
- Analyzing bidders’ proposals and, when appropriate, insuring that issues are identified and resolved prior to signing contracts.
- Conducting scope review meetings with low bidders to ensure scope compliance and to uncover and resolve unforeseen issues.
- Making recommendation(s) for award.
- Negotiating agreements with prime contractors.
- Writing or helping to write construction contracts to assure seamless compliance with contract documents.
We set the groundwork for successful construction projects by developing and implementing procurement strategies that are tailored to meet the unique requirements and needs of each project.